Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Kiss Of Shadows

If you have already read this book, you know it isn't a newly released book. It is, however, new to me. So, I thought I'd review it, because hey, I read it!

I used to be a big fan of Hamilton's Anita Blake series, but lately, she's really seemed to forget who Anita was. I don't mind character growth, especially in a series, after all, character growth is essential to keep a series alive. The problem is, Anita isn't even remotely who she used to be. In the last few books, the Anita I fell in love with is gone, and she has been replaced by some one I really, REALLY, don't like. All the books seem the same any more, Anita has sex, Anita finds out she has a new power, Anita has more sex. Not much fun in reading any more.

So, I was so very thrilled to read the first book in the Merry Gentry series, and find that I loved it. I'm the type of person who just hates to lose a favorite author, and if I hadn't read Merry I would have probably given up on Laurell K Hamilton .

A Kiss Of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton
(BCC)

Meredith Gentry, princess of the high court of faerie, is posing as a human in Los Angeles, working as a P.I. specializing in supernatural crime. But now the queen's assassin has been dispatched to fetch her back - whether she likes it or not. Suddenly Meredith finds herself a pawn in her aunt's deadly game. The job that awaits her: enjoy the constant company of the most beautiful immortal men in the world. The reward: the crown - and the opportunity to continue to live. The penalty for failure: death.

I really can't pick apart this BCC too much because they pretty much hit the nail on the head. So, instead I think I'll just give my opinion on the book (opinionated thing, aren't I?).

I really liked Merry. She's not full faerie, and is mortal, unlike her fellow sidhe. She is beautiful, of course, but she is also tough, and smart, both qualities I like very much in the books I read. I don't want to waste my time reading about some dumb bimbo who can't fend for herself. No need to worry, Merry can kick ass and take names all on her own.

Another thing I think I'm going to like about the Merry books is, unless she turns into a wimp or a prude, there isn't much room for Merry to deviate from who she starts out as. Merry is sexual, it is just the way of the faerie, she is sidhe, but not wholly so.

From the time she was sixteen she resided in the Unseelie Court, where her Aunt is the queen. Her uncle is the King of the Seelie Court, but the Seelie Court view themselves as the most beautiful and the best of the faerie and are very selective of who can be apart of their court, in the Unseelie Court, every one is welcome. This means that Merry grew up knowing monsters.

Merry's cousin Cel hates her. He is second in line for the thrown and sees her as his enemy. Merry had fled the courts because she kept getting challenged in Duels and was afraid for her life. Cel was behind these duels (basically a legal assassination attempt) but his mother was blind to her son's wrong doings. We mothers can be like that, huh?

After being on the run for three years, the Queen has decided she wants Merry home. When Merry finds her cover blown she takes off to hide. Only you cannot hide from the Queen of Air and Darkness. All it will take is some one to whisper her name and the Queen will hear it and know where she is.

Once Merry is back at the Unseelie Court she finds that her aunt does not want her dead, in fact she wants to make her her heir. Whoever has a child first, Merry or Cel, will be the next to sit on the throne.

This book was so action packed and had some really very hot scenes. The world Hamilton creates for Merry is filled with magic. If you like fantasy, mystery, and paranormal, this is the book for you!

Take Care

No comments: